Some PTAs split the Treasurer role into two:
- TREASURER: Responsible for Treasurer and Financial Repots, PTA Budget, Expenses, Tax Filing, coordinating with the Auditor
- FINANCIAL SECRETARY (usually a Board Position) or Assistant Treasurer (usually not a Board Position, but may stand-in for Treasurer in their absence): Income, coordinates with Membership, and back-up Treasurer
CA PTA JOB DESCRIPTION
- Maintains permanent records to track unit funds and financial transactions
- Chairs budget committee and prepares annual budget for adoption by the association
- Collects and deposit PTA income
- Coordinates with Membership
- Pays all PTA bills as authorized by board or association
- Prepares reports for every board and association meeting and an annual financial report, including reconciliation
- Ensures taxes and reports required by PTA bylaws, insurance or federal and state governments are completed and submitted by the due dates. All PTAs, like all tax-exempt groups, must file certain reports annually in order to maintain that status. Click for guidance on filing the required forms for your PTA.
- Coordinates with Auditor/Audit Committee
- Distributes the Whistleblower and Conflict of Interest policies to each Board and Committee member, and for collecting the signed forms. https://ptac.paloaltopta.org/conflict-of-interest
Most PAUSD PTAs use myPTEZ as the accounting program to record and audit transactions within their accounts.