Committee Chairs: Indira Selvakumaraswamy & Husna Hashmi
The goal of the Social Emotional Learning committee is to promote social emotional competencies within our students. This is a significant and valuable role for each school site and one that provides collaborative vision to ensure that PAUSD schools are centered on the “Whole child “development and growth. This effort is accomplished by:
- Working with school staff and parents to help and support SEL knowledge among the students and foster opportunities to practice and apply SEL skills at school and in the community.
- Creating awareness & information sharing about SEL with the parent community
- Providing relevant parent education activities and events.
- Raising specific issues in relation to their sites
- Supporting SEL efforts brought about by the School District
IT IS BACK….!!Take It Personally (T.I.P): Project Cornerstone’s Engaging Workshop for Parents and CaregiversA strong family is the best predictor of children’s success. Join us to discover the tools for strengthening your family connections, your relationship with your children and helping them thrive in this 6 week workshop facilitated by Project Cornerstone.Each week we will share, discuss and practice ways to show caring, giving support, set boundaries, and build strong relationships that help youth succeed in school, friendships and life!
We are offering two TIP programs at two different school sites, in two different time bands this October 2018. Please see details below:
Class Title: Take It Personally
Dates: (i) Wednesdays: October 10, 17, 24, 31, and November 7, 14 . Time: 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m
Place/Host: Juana Briones Elementary School
(ii) Thursdays: October 11, 18, 25 and November 1, 8, 15. Time: 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Place/Host: Addison Elementary School
Please sign up via this link, if you want to attend https://tinyurl.com/z2xoec9
Description and Responsibilities of SEL Rep. Position
Committee Lead/ Rep./Coordinator role
This can be a one person position or if a few volunteers are interested, it can be a Committee position as well.
At the Middle /High school level – there can be grade-wise Rep(s) that can help form the committee or lead the committee.
The Objective of the SEL Committee Lead/ Rep./Coordinator – is to ensure that their school site is paying equal attention to and are imparting relevant SEL Skills to all the children in their school (and not just focusing on Academics). In the process, help with Parent Engagement and awareness as well.
(i) At the School Site level –
- Create awareness and ensure that extra support is given to all parents in your school, by means of appropriate Parent Education Activities and Events.
- Post discussion topics, resource links, book lists on your PTA communication channels, eNews and any other relevant networks.
(ii) The SEL Committee Lead/Rep./Coordinator of each school site will need to work collaboratively with the PTAC SEL Chair for:
- Information sharing – sharing and discussion of topics of interest.
- Raising specific issues, any areas of concern in relation to your site, if any.
- Work to bring positive solutions and to
- Help with any other related efforts brought about by the School District.
- There will be regular meetings scheduled with all SEL Chairs, at a mutually arrived and convenient time, to share and collate information, brainstorm and address issues.
Training will also be held as needed (based on demand and necessity).