Each PTA publishes a periodic – usually weekly – eNewsletter for the parents of their students, as well as for their teachers and staff. The PTA eNews is predominantly information about School-, PTA-, or Community activities.
More Info: https://ptac.paloaltopta.org/pta-communication-guidelines/
WHO CREATES CONTENT?
At most of our sites, it’s a team effort:
- PTA activities: the PTA President, other Board members, Chairs contribute content
- School activities: Principal, teachers, staff, counselors may contribute content
- PTA Council and Community activities: PTA Council eNews editor will contribute. Refer to https://ptac.paloaltopta.org/pta-communication-guidelines
Some PTAs use a shared Google Doc where contributors write in their articles. This method is helpful if a contributor wants to start writing their article ahead of time and and it keeps a master log of all contributions.
Other PTAs ask their contributors to submit their articles via email.
TIP: Each Board/eNews crew should create a consistent schedule of submission due dates, rough draft proofreads, and publishing day/time.
FROM A PILE OF CONTENT TO A NEWSLETTER
The PTA VP Comm and/or an assigned eNews editor(s)
- assembles articles into one file
- formats, proofreads, and edits for accuracy, clarity, consistency – please keep in mind that your audience of parents may be English Language Learners
- upload into ParentSquare, if working in Google doc
- double-checks images show up correctly
- double-checks links work properly
- Publishes the eNews or schedule its publishing
TIP: It is a good idea to have 2-3 people conduct steps 3, 4, and 5, with one of those people being the PTA President and possibly another the Principal.
Each Board/eNews crew should create a consistent schedule of submission due dates, proofread period, and publishing day/time.
How to publish the eNews in ParentSquare:
* ParentSquare Guide: Post
* Create a ParentSquare Post: Youtube video
WHO RECEIVES THE ENEWS?
When using ParentSquare, ALL parents receive the eNews.