Each of our PTAs publishes a periodic – usually weekly – eNewsletter for the parents of their students, as well as for their teachers and staff.
- The PTA eNews is predominantly information about School- and/or PTA-hosted community-building and social activities for their school community.
- There is also a portion of the eNews written by the PTA Council for activities available to all PAUSD schools.
WHO CREATES CONTENT?
At most of our sites, it’s a team effort:
- PTA activities: the PTA President, other Board members, Chairs contribute content
- School activities: Principal, teachers, staff, counselors may contribute content
- PTA Council and Community activities: PTA Council eNews editor will contribute
- Outside Organizations – refer to https://ptac.paloaltopta.org/pta-communication-guidelines
Some sites use an offline Google Doc for contributors to write in their articles. This method is helpful if a contributor wants to start writing their article ahead of time and and it keeps a master log of all contributions.
Other sites ask their contributors to submit their articles via email.
TIP: Each Board/eNews crew should create a consistent schedule of submission due dates, rough draft proofreads, and publishing day/time.
FROM A PILE OF CONTENT TO A NEWSLETTER
The PTA VP Comm and/or an assigned eNews editor(s)
- proofreads and edits for accuracy, clarity, consistency – please keep in mind that your audience of parents may be English Language Learners
- double-checks images show up correctly
- double-checks links work properly
- Publish the eNews or schedule its publishing
TIP: It is a good idea to have 2-3 people conduct steps 3, 4, and 5, with one of those people being the PTA President and possibly another the Principal.
Each Board/eNews crew should create a consistent schedule of submission due dates, proofread period, and publishing day/time.
COMMON ENEWS PLATFORMS
- ParentSquare, which is administered by PAUSD
- Constant Contact
For technical help with your platform, (how to upload the Data Drop, how to upload content or media, etc.) please reach out to the PTA Council Communications VP.
WHO RECEIVES THE ENEWS?
If the PTA uses ParentSquare, then ALL parents and staff members will receive the eNews.
If the PTA uses another platform, then only the parents who opted-in to receive PTA communications will receive the eNews. Some platforms allow people to subscribe manually (e.g. Constant Contact, MailChimp)